Cannon Brewery (William Stones Ltd)
William Stones had started brewing in 1847 in Sheffield with Joseph Watts. Following Watts’ death in 1854, Stones continued brewing by himself. In 1868 he purchased the lease of the brewery and renamed it to “Cannon Brewery” and continued to brew there until his death in 1894. Stones’ success saw him die as one of the richest men in Sheffield, although it is said he lived a very modest life.
The company was taken over by Bass in 1968 and in 2000 Bass sold its brewing operations to the Belgian brewer Interbrew who were ordered by the Competition Comission to sell the Stones brand. In 2002, the brand was purchased by the American Coors Brewing Company, who merged to become Molson Coors in 2005.
View More Photographs…
All of our photographs can be viewed below!
Visit Date: April 2013
By 1895 the brewery was equipped with an expensive plant, excellent stores and cellars, spacious covered and open yards, offices and workshops. A new £500,000 five story brewhouse was operational by 1962 and was one of the most up to date in the country. An onsite public house was opened in the basement of the brewery in 1964 and was initially named “The Underground” but was later renamed “The Pig and Whistle” and was used by the brewery workers and visitors.
The brewery was used as a shooting location for the film “When Saturday Comes” In 1999, the brewery had closed it’s doors for the last time.
At first we didn’t think that this former brewery was going to be worth looking at, sure it was wrapped in history but from the outside, it was trashed. Almost every window at the site was smashed, floors were weak in places and parts were semi demolished.
We made our way straight to the roof to watch the sunrise across Sheffield and it was instantly worth the trip.
Visited with UE-